[TUHS] a book (was Re: PWB vs Unix/TS)

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Mon Sep 16 06:21:00 AEST 2019

Clem Cole writes:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 1:18 AM Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:
>
> > Way back in the 80s when scheduling was new I wrote tools that generated
> > pert and gantt charts via pic.
> >
> We did the same thing at Masscomp.
> Then Danny Klein wrote a very cool Mac program that spit out pic (before
> xfig existed).

The big problem with xfig (and fig befoe that) is that it didn't utilize
what to me is one of the most important features of pic which is invisible
elements.  When I do a complicated diagram, I start with an invisible box
and hang the diagram on it.  That way, if I run out of space or need to
make other adjustments I can just change the size of that invisible box
scaffold.  Sure beats stuff done in absolute coordinates by (x)fig or even
many other modern drawing programs where everything has to be manually
moved around and scaled.

Jon