[TUHS] earliest Unix roff

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Sep 17 02:10:40 AEST 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 11:14:25AM -0400, Richard Salz wrote:
> Is it any surprise that the early GNU effort was really trying to recreate
> ITS?  Can you really blame them?  I'm grateful that they made `info` be a
> standalone program.  Putting the concept of "cursor position" into the
> existing pagers (more/less/etc) and doing jump/xref/back would be more than
> a stretch, IMO.

It's what Clem said.  You should acclimate yourself to your environment.
Pushing info into man environment is a lot like being an immigrant and
wanting to bring your laws into your new homeland.  That isn't a thing
and shouldn't be a thing.  Doesn't matter that people think ITS is better,
they are in Unix.  If you think ITS is better, go live there.

When in Rome....