[TUHS] block operations in editors, was My EuroBSDcon talk

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Tue Sep 17 12:02:49 AEST 2019

I also went vim, wanting nvi to be there but Keith Bostic lost impetus
or motivation. I am not in love with vim, I still feel like its got a
lot of glitter, but with the keystrokes for homekeys burned into my
brain it was the best choice. I use ed periodically to remind myself
what reductionism in editors means. I used atom and visual basic,
they're ok for what they are.

Vim also gave me syntax colouring. again, I was suprised how quickly I
came to use it, having decried it. I guess like food, in matters of
(editor) taste there is no good disputation.

Sam didn't get into my frontal lobes quickly enough. I think if 8th
and plan9 had been only TWO years earlier out the door, a lot of the
world would look different. I look at kubernetes now, I live in it
actually, and I feel like inferno was leading me there but I got there
via very twisty paths.

Really, what I think UNIX missed the most, was the plumber. GTK and
KDE and the like dance around the problem of cut-paste between
processes in ways which I am led to believe the plumber fixed long
ago.  Another thing which had it been only two years earlier, might
have got us to a more cohered space.

"first, kill all the lawyers" is probably the subtitle of a UNIX book.
Counterfactuals.

-G