[TUHS] A Couple of New Unix Artifacts

Angelo Papenhoff aap at papnet.eu
Tue Sep 17 20:45:18 AEST 2019

On 17/09/19, Warren Toomey wrote:
> I fear we're drifting a bit here and the S/N ratio is dropping a bit w.r.t
> the actual history of Unix. Please no more on the relative merits of
> version control systems or alternative text processing systems.
>
> So I'll try to distract you by saying this. I'm sitting on two artifacts
> that have recently been given to me:
>
>  + by two large organisations
>  + of great significance to Unix history
>  + who want me to keep "mum" about them
>  + as they are going to make announcements about them soon *
>
> and I am going slowly crazy as I wait for them to be offically released.
>
> Now you have a new topic to talk about :-)

That sounds exciting!

I wish we had more stuff of the v0-v4 era, but I don't know how
likely that is to even still exist.
Also the things that were documented in the manual but weren't in the
distribution...old troff is something that comes to mind. We still have
the source filenames in deleted directory entries in the v6 distribution.