[TUHS] INed/Rand Editor/Ned [was Re: My EuroBSDcon talk (preview for commentary)

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue Sep 17 21:46:02 AEST 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 06:21:56AM +1000, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> It's still common today.  Everything the developer cares to think about,
> let alone test on, interprets EMCA-48 SGR escape sequences.  My favorite
> recent example is "spectre-meltdown-checker", which has such edifying
> lines as:
>
>         _info_nol "> \033[46m\033[30mSTATUS:\033[0m "
>
> Why write something portable when you can be "close to the metal"?  :-/

To be fair, spectre-multdown-checker is a shell script, and while you
can use tput, that's not super-portable (some versions take termcap
names, some take terminfo names, and the only thing that has been
standardized is "init", "clear", and "reset"), and said script was
designed to work on Linux and *BSD systems.

					- Ted