[TUHS] block operations in editors, was My EuroBSDcon talk

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Wed Sep 18 14:47:47 AEST 2019

This is one of my pet peeves.  "Random Access" memory is far from
random when you look at the time it takes to do the accesses.  With
modern memories, accessing a column can be 20 to 40x slower than
accessing a row.  This is particularly irritating when doing AI
training, where training reuses 4-d tensors transposed, a very painful
operation.

In FORTRAN days, I once used a vector package in which you described a
vector by giving the first element, the second element, and a count.
So you could describe rows, columns, a matrix diagonal, and even rows
and columns from back to front.  Fortran passed arguments by address,
which made the whole thing easy and fast.

Steve