[TUHS] cathode

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Wed Sep 18 19:05:54 AEST 2019

On 9/18/19, William Corcoran <wlc at jctaylor.com> wrote:
> Hello TUHS on Tues.,
>
> Warren Toomey suggested I let the group know about a utility that exists at
> least for iMacs and IOS devices.
>
> It’s called “cathode” and you can find it on the Apple App Store.   Please
> forgive me if this has already been mentioned.
>
> This utility provides for an xterm window that looks like the display an old
> *tube.   You can set the curvature of the glass, the glow, various scan
> techniques, 9600 speed, and so on.
>
> It adds that extra dimension to give the look and feel of working on early
> UNIX with a tube.

I used to run it, but I noticed it sucks battery like crazy.  In the
end I compromised on running X with good ol xterm on my MacBook.  It
is much more lightweight.

Plus it is impossible to create a realistic CRT experience on LCD,
especially in widescreen.  All terminals were 4:3 and rather small
from today point of view, but the sizes were just perfect for full
screen text modes.

I have tons of old terminals and CRT VGA monitors just so I can work
on a real thing.  There is something magical about the glow of
phosphor on those old tubes.

--Andy