[TUHS] earliest Unix roff

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Sep 21 01:03:14 AEST 2019

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in <20190920134137.DXBTo%steffen at sdaoden.eu>:
 |John P. Linderman wrote in <CAC0cEp-CVPb-OhcDHKfbj5nMoiYjkAOEZnEOf4Sv5Zr\
 |zTnDKTg at mail.gmail.com>:
 ||There is a place for a concise description of each command, and a \
 ||separate \
 ||place for tutorials and conference papers.
 |Also, easy it is to concisely document that -n chooses a numeric
 |sort, and -r reverses the result order, but
 |
 |   -b addr, --bcc=..
 |          Send a blind carbon copy to recipient addr.
 |
 |can result in dead-end or otherwise misunderstood situations
 |unless you really know that particular manual is stripped down,
 |and the reference manual makes this

And i want to clarify that we talk about a program which does not
behave the way a user would normally expect, where normally is
that the mail is sent to all recipients.
In an academic or a lab environment you can ask someone, or go
over and say "Hi Ken" or "Hi Kurt", "your program misbehaves".
But in the wild people will simply start to mistrust a program, or
stop using it right away.  In 99 percent you will not even get
a bug report or hear just about anything.  (Except maybe for the
most popular and widely used programs.)  And then all the work,
the blood sweat and tears have been for nothing.

--steffen