[TUHS] Revived! The 10 Edition spell program!

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Sep 25 16:15:50 AEST 2019

Kurt H Maier <khm at sciops.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:58:35PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >
> > How is this better than spell(1) on Linux?
>
> Assuming you're talking about GNU spell, it suffers from feature creep
> (localization stuff, hard-coded markup filters, etc) which makes the
> code less pleasant to work with.  I'm not sure why my spellchecker needs
> curses support, but GNU spell has it.  Also I don't like having to worry
> about licensing cruft when I e.g. copy a binary over to a system at
> work.  If I can do my work with 5% the source code, that's generally my
> plan.
>

> khm

It's not clear what 'spell' is --- it differs from distro to distro,
often based on aspell.  Whatever is on Ubuntu doesn't even know
how to use 'sort -u' on its output.

For myself, I don't claim that v10spell is better or worse than anything
else out there; it simply provides another option, especially for fans
of the original Unix code. :-)

Arnold