[TUHS] Software Archaeology Challenge?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Apr 7 12:03:01 AEST 2020

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020, Clem Cole wrote:

> He used RT-11 to copy each disk pack sequentially.   That's an ANSI VOL1
> record.   Sadly it's not a full ANSI tape (long story -- it needs HDR1
> records  VMS would have been able to mount it as a foreign tape.

[ Probably getting COFF-ish now ]

Blimey, but that takes me back to my OS/360 days...  I once wrote a little
utility (in assembly, of course) that dumped all the HDR/VOL/etc records.

It was a swine to debug (overnight processing because I was a student); I
had to leave instructions to the operator to "ABEND with core dump" if the
tape merely oscillated back and forth (which it did early on).

The first time, I got a snotty note from the operator saying that after
watching the tape for half an hour he had to kill it; ah, the joys of
overnight remote debugging...  Later on I became a volunteer operator on
the graveyard shift and was able to sneak in the occasional "foreign
order".

-- Dave