[TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Sun Apr 12 04:49:00 AEST 2020

norman at oclsc.org (Norman Wilson) wrote:

> There was no general release of V8 like those for earlier
> Research systems, but there was a quasi-official V8 tape
> sent to a handful of universities under a special letter
> agreement.  I remember working on that with Dennis,
> checking that everything compiled and worked properly
> in a chroot environment before the tape was written.
> I think that happened in the summer of 1985.

Sounds about right. Circa late '86 or early '87, IIRC correctly, DMR spoke
at Georgia Tech, and Gene Spafford, who was still there arranged to
get a copy of the V8 tape.

I got a friend who worked there to send me the man page sources
and printed a copy for myself. :-)  I later got an official (but used)
copy via BWK.

(I also arranged to buy a V9 manual in the early 90s.)

Arnold