[TUHS] V8, V9 and V10 now in the "Unix Tree"

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Sun Apr 12 04:52:47 AEST 2020

norman at oclsc.org (Norman Wilson) wrote:

> The kernel was a clean break, however: 4.1xBSD for some
> value of x (probably 4.1a but I don't remember which)
> with Research changes.  By the time of V8, that means:
> -- Berkeley FFS replaced by Weinberger's bitmapped
> file system:

As far as I understand it, the Berkeley FFS didn't appear
until much closer to 4.2; it was definitely not in 4.1 and
was likely not in 4.1a.

Which would explain why V8 would have still had the 14 character
filename limit.

> essentially the V7 file system except
> the free list was a bitmap and the blocksize was 4KiB.

ISTR that System V picked this up at some point also, although I don't
recall if the bigger block size was 1K or 4K.  I may be misremembering
though.

Thanks,

Arnold