[TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Apr 14 15:30:24 AEST 2020

On Monday, 13 April 2020 at 22:13:17 -0400, Doug McIlroy wrote:

> Those were the only two that were published as trade books. I still use
> the 10th Ed regularly. The 7th Ed was a debacle. The publisher didn't
> bother to send us galleys because they had printed straight from troff.
> It turned out they did not have the full troff character set, and put
> an @ sign in place of each missing character. The whole print run was
> done before we saw a copy. Not knowing whether they ever fixed it, I'd
> be interested to hear whether or not the botch made it to bookstores.

OK, I've dug out my copies.  Two volumes, published by CBS College
publishing, aka Holt, Rinehart and Winston in 1982, both titled "UNIX
Programmer's Manual".  Volume 1 (ISBN 0-03-061742-1) was the man
pages, and volume 2 (ISBN 0-03-061743-X) was the supplementary docs,
starting with “7th Edition UNIX — Summary”, dated September 6, 1978.
They have perforated, 3-hole punched pages, clearly intended to be
torn out and put into a three-ring binder.

I've skimmed through both of them, and I can't find any obvious
typesetting errors.  "Typesetting Mathematics" shows some quite
complicated equations.  And in the quick reference in volume 1, all
the troff special characters seem right, even up to less common
characters such as \(bs.  Is there anything specific that I should
look for?  Scans available if they would help.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.