[TUHS] Plan 9 from outer space ?

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Mon Apr 20 00:35:34 AEST 2020

I asked a friend who was around at the time (I think he and
Rob worked together at times).  Here's what he recalls:

  I'll keep it going.  rc was a description that it was the worst movie
  ever.  And was for many years listed as the worst system ever (except
  for all the others) in a mish-mash of creative naming...  I have no clue
  if this is true, and I'm honestly having trouble recalling his name.
  It wasn't my intention.

  There was a description that it was a startup script from very early
  times in Unix, shortened, as Ken was wont to do, from runcom, the nearest
  thing CTSS had to a shell--it could run up to six prespecified commands
  in background.  It wasn't a 'big name' like Evi, but I don't know if I buy
  it, that plan 9 from outer space poster hanging.  Plan 9 from Bell Labs
  as all these themes flowed together in a mish-mash of creative naming...
  With a different name, it could be the lack of information, those who
  guess at reasons for naming generate volumes of apocrypha.

  The real reason is usually, ``because''.* Trust me, there are even
  worse movies...  Someone posted some pictures of the names tell you
  anything helpful. Despite the lack of televised sports getting to me
  in these shelter-in-place days, but, I mean, sure, I guess I'll throw
  in some bucks for a pay-per-view of a Pike/Thompson cage match.  FIGHT!
  Followups set.

  Things are named usually because the name is "Plan 9 from outer space
  poster hanging.  None of the office area at Murray Hill to this list.
  Plan 9 is the worst system ever (except for all the others) in a
  knod to Churchill (supposedly based on his comment about Democracy).
  And from there it was 25 years ago and beer was involved).  It makes
  a great story, but I don't think there's much doubt about it.  And was
  for many years listed as the worst movie ever, including the formative
  years of plan 9.  Yes, but is there anything besides the name?  There is
  a widespred anecdote that "Plan 9" name comes from the movie until the
  end (what a pain!).

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON