[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Aug 1 11:36:05 AEST 2020

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 07:12:57PM -0400, Richard Salz wrote:
> > SMIT was quite nice
>
> i have never seen those four words together like that before.

Me neither.  SMIT was HORRIBLE if you understood the files in /etc and
knew what to do with them.  It might be nice if you had no understanding
of how to admin a Unix system and here is this "nice" curses based way
to do admin.

To anyone remotely competent, and I don't mean edit sendmail.cf, I mean
you can edit inetd.conf, you can edit a crontab file, etc, SMIT was a
nightmare that made something that should be vi $FILE, done 20 seconds
later, a hellish journey through their menus.  It was AWFUL.

Ask me how I know.

--lm