[TUHS] Dennis Ritchie's Dissertation

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sun Aug 2 06:24:49 AEST 2020

John P. Linderman <jpl.jpl at gmail.com> wrote:
> The use of honorifics was subtly discouraged at the Labs. I never saw a
> policy statement, but nobody I knew used "Dr" (except those in the medical
> department), even though the place was crawling with doctoral degrees.

Yes -- but their administration was anything but egalitarian or
meritocratic.  I know someone who had immense trouble getting inside the
door at the Labs because "all" he had was a bachelor's degree.  Let
their character be judged by how they treated a stranger.

Sign me proud to have succeeded in life with no degrees at all,

	John Gilmore