[TUHS] BTL summer employees

Heinz Lycklama heinz at osta.com
Mon Aug 3 15:14:25 AEST 2020

On 8/2/2020 12:05 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> I wasn't claiming to be authoritative on who got to be summer students; it was
> just my observation based on who I ran into.  I do remember some other kids in
> there but not sure how it happened or what became of them; Heinz may know.  My
> first summer a group of underprivileged kids from Newark was brought in.
> It mainly sticks in my mind because one of them was terrified because the
> computer was so much smarter than he was, so someone (Hal Alles?) tasked him
> with programming a PDP-11/10 via the front panel switches which gave him a
> completely different perspective.
Jon, this brings back memories of working with summer students and
Explorer Scout high schools students (like yourself) during my years
at Bell Labs in MH. I have to credit Carl Christensen for bringing me
in to work with him in helping making computers and training resources
available to Explorer Scouts on Monday evenings shortly after I started
at Bell Labs in 1969. I enjoyed this time in helping and motivating the
students as well as taking them on hiking and spelunking trips in NY.
I had one summer student work for me on the LSX projects. He was so
brilliant that I had a challenge to keep him busy with the tasks I gave
him because he finished them so quickly. One of the motivations
for doing LSX was actually providing a platform for the music synthesizer
that Hal Alles was building.

If I can remember any other names for you I will let you know, but
this was more than 45 years ago ...

Heinz