[TUHS] Debugging help sought

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Thu Aug 6 17:16:34 AEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 02:57:25PM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 5, 2020, 8:12 PM Jim Capp <jcapp at anteil.com> wrote:
> >       Looking through the code, I see some awfully long function names.
> >       Does anyone recall if there are/were limits on the size of
> >       variable and function names?
> >
> > 8 I think was the limit.
>
> Seven plus the leading (implied) underscore?
>
> -- Dave

K&R 1st edition Reference Manual section 2.2 mentions 8 (including
underscore) as the number of significant characters, though names can
be longer. External names are more restricted: it has a table of
limits for external names for various targerts. PDP-11 is 7 chars,
Honeywell 6000 is 6 chars (with no case distinction).

	-Otto