[TUHS] Debugging help sought

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Aug 7 02:09:08 AEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 11:47:09AM -0400, Paul Winalski wrote:
> On 8/5/20, Adam Thornton <athornton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > $ cc -o 4th forth.c
> > ld:forth.o: Local symbol botch
>
> I hate error messages like that.  Would it have been that much extra
> trouble for ld to tell you which symbol caused the problem?

That's funny, I was just talking to my older son yesterday.  We had the
chat about how much you could get done in a semester in college, a buddy
and I did about 80% of an Ada compiler.  It was a lot.  I told my kid
that industry is different, it moves way slower and that is because
there is a huge difference between something you get done in a few months
and throw away and something that you are going to hand off to users.
Error handling and messages matter a lot.  Backwards compatibility
matters a lot.

Isn't Adam working on v7?  If so, not so great error messages are
sort of understood, it was early times.  They got better.