[TUHS] [COFF] Unix and SW Releases (was V7 et al from Will)

Wesley Parish wobblygong at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:41:29 AEST 2020

I'm trying to get my head around this, in relation to the U of
Canterbury, NZ's setup. I know they had had some PDPs, because one was
offered for sale c 1992. I expect it would've been running 2.xBSD,
because the U of C NZ was by and large a BSD house - when I asked
about a suitable OS for my brand-new 486 in 1991 I was told if I could
afford the (AT&T) license I could have the source tree of (would've
been) 4.3BSD. I know they had VAXes, and from what I recall, though
the admin ones were VMS boxen, the Computer Science one/s would've
been running Unix. They also had Sun pizza boxes.

Am I right in assuming that 2.xBSD was the state of the play on PDP
while 4.xBSD was the source tree compatible state of play on the
VAXes? That if you had a VAX you got the 4.xBSD tapes, whereas if you
had a PDP you got the 2.xBSD tapes?

Wesley Parish