[TUHS] 211bsd kermit working

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Aug 10 23:12:32 AEST 2020

    > From: Will Senn

    > $c
    > 0177520: ~signal(016,01) from ~sysinit+034
    > 0177542: ~sysinit() from ~main+010
    > 0177560: _main() from start+0104

    > If this means it got signal 16... or 1 from the sysinit call (called
    > from main)

I'm not sure that interpretation is correct. I think that trace shows signal()
being called from sysinit().

On V6, signal() was a system call which one could use to set the handlers for
signals (or set them to be ignored, or back to the default action). In. 2.11
it seems to be a shim layer which provides the same interface, but uses
the Berserkly signal system interface underneath:

  https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2.11BSD/include/signal.h
  https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2.11BSD/man/cat3/signal.0

So maybe the old binary for kermit is still trying to use the (perhaps
now-removed) signal system call?

	     Noel