[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Sat Aug 15 03:39:49 AEST 2020

Jim Capp writes:
> I can’t recall the date, but I remember very clearly approaching an IBM sales
> rep who told me that they took UNIX and “fixed all the bugs”.
>
> I shook my head and laughed as I walked away.

You might laugh, but when I worked at Tektronix on their workstation product,
they had a group that actually did that, or at least as close as possible.  I
remember them agonizing over fixing cpile bugs in eqn.  Was actually really
nice to have a pretty bug-free system available.  But, in the tried and true
bad management style that was Tektronix, nobody every asked whether there was
any customer value proposition.

Jon