[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Aug 15 11:20:03 AEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 05:33:09PM -0700, Rich wrote:
> On a vaguely related note, I found it amusing that there was a well known hack
> for Cray's (or perhaps 6600's) which were misbehaving: put a Tektronix scope
> probe on a test point that generally had one there during final system checkout.
> The load (extremely mnimal by design) was just enough to stabilize the system.

I'm sure everyone here knows this, but the Cray 1 (I think, the one
that had what looked like a circular bench seat around the bottom) was
designed like that because the clock was at the center and the clock
signal went to all the boards and was right because all the clock lines
to the boards were the same length.