[TUHS] Memory management in Dennis Ritchie's C Compiler

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Aug 18 08:47:04 AEST 2020

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

> From Wikipedia:
> sbrk and brk are considered legacy even by 1997 standards (Single UNIX
> Specification v2 or POSIX.1-1998).[5] They were removed in
> POSIX.1-2001.[6]

On a whim, I checked a couple of boxes around here (I haven't used sbrk()
since malloc() came along):

Mac:

     The brk and sbrk functions are historical curiosities left over from ear-
     lier days before the advent of virtual memory management.

FreeBSD:

     The brk() and sbrk() functions are legacy interfaces from before the
     advent of modern virtual memory management.

Both of them come right after the DESCRIPTION header.

-- Dave