[TUHS] Unix tools to aid in the production of Internet RFCs?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Aug 28 03:51:08 AEST 2020

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So I'm curious: what tools did people use to produce those documents?
>
> What was available at the time?  Some of the first were done with a
> typewriter ;-).   That said, a lot of the early ones (1960-thru late 70s)
> were done using one of the different flavors of the runoff schemes, with
> the PDP-10 family being pretty popular since many of the Arpa supplied
> systems were based on PDP6/10s.

Yes, very Not Unix. As Dan wondered, the best list for this question is
internet-history, I think :-)

The Network Information Center was at SRI, and they used the ARC NLS: Doug
Englebart's Augmentation Research Center oN-Line System [1] but I get the
impression that by the 1990s nroff on Unix was the main tool for producing
RFCs.

https://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/text/finding-aids/102706170-SRI/102706170-SRI.pdf

Tony.
Wight, Portland, Plymouth: West or southwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at
first in Wight and Portland, veering northwest 4 to 6 later. Moderate or
rough. Thundery showers. Good, occasionally poor.