[TUHS] The UNIX Command Language (1976)

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Dec 1 06:11:10 AEST 2020

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> > I think O'Reilly was the last commercial publisher with a troff toolchain.

They stopped using troff directly well over 20 years ago.
These days if you're using a markup language and their toolset it's
either Asciidoc or docbook.

> I think it depends on who you are and your editor is at the said firm.  Tim
> will still take troff

I assume you mean Tim O'Reilly?  He hasn't been involved in the book
side of his business in decades, and as I said, troff isn't in the picture
there.

> as will John Waite at Pearson.

They farm such things out, they don't accept it in house.
Or the author can provide "camera ready copy", which these days
just means PDF.

>   That said, as Jon can tell you, Bill will not.

No idea who Bill is.

Arnold