[TUHS] The UNIX Command Language (1976)

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Wed Dec 2 01:35:18 AEST 2020

On 2020-12-01 10:09 a.m., Jim Capp wrote:
> Is it possible the elimination of the GOTO statement in the Bourne Shell
> was related to a Letter to the Editor in Communications of the ACM,
> March 1968:
> "Go To Statement Considered Harmful," by E. Dijkstra.

Broadly connected to the rise of Structured Programming -- which we take
fully for granted today.

The same movement, and the popularity of Pascal, which was very
competitive with C as an applications language, would have motivated the
inclusion of what were at the time considered "high level" control
structures, in C: do/while/for and block structuring.

--Toby