[TUHS] The UNIX Command Language (1976)

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Fri Dec 4 10:45:19 AEST 2020

I also get this, but there is a part of this which is about the
history of your command stream as a history of thinking.

cat file
<blurs past>

(sigh)

cat file | more

not more file. because you are heading to
cat file | cut -d, -f1,2 | real-job

yes, the cat is redundant. but syntactically it is like  (a b) + vs
plus(a,b) its not the functional order of the atoms for execution, its
how you "pronounce" the work you are doing inside your head..
expressed through your fingers.

The cost of the cat is really not big. the cost of re-framing your
command to  cmd < thing  is sometimes higher in brain cost. Brains are
expensive.