[TUHS] Cole's Slaw

Erik E. Fair fair-tuhs at netbsd.org
Thu Dec 10 10:53:16 AEST 2020

I bet your backups across the gigabit switch to your NAS are (small) incrementals.

You'll care about having 10gigE when you try a restore from backup.

We have a very persistent problem with storage capacity versus I/O bandwidth, which I metaphor as "swimming pools of data, which we fill & drain with garden hoses." How many terabytes of stable storage do you have at home?

Further, LANs have always lagged local I/O bandwidth (across PCI, PCIe, etc), independent of the nastiness introduced by latency and less-than-ideal data transfer protocols. Unix "diskless" workstations were only tolerable because the disks were still expensive and there were good reasons to share.

	Erik