[TUHS] Algol 68 and Unix (was cron and at ...)

Mike Markowski mike.ab3ap at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:44:52 AEST 2020

On 12/17/20 9:21 AM, M Douglas McIlroy wrote:

> ...My knowledge of A68 comes from reading the official definition back in
> the day. It took effort to see the clarity of the design through the
> fog of the description. Until more accessible descriptions came along
> (which I admit to not having seen) it would have been a big barrier to
> acceptance...

By coincidence, fortune brought this up as I opened a terminal window:

No proper program contains an indication which as an operator-applied
occurrence identifies an operator-defining occurrence which as an
indication-applied occurrence identifies an indication-defining
occurrence different from the one identified by the given indication as
an indication-applied occurrence.
  -- ALGOL 68 Report

Yikes...
Mike