[TUHS] Which years saw the introduction of (1) #! and (2) symbolic links

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Dec 31 03:15:46 AEST 2020

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 12:03 AM ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> reason I asked was my memory was #! in 1978 or so. But that's now sounding
> like I compressed time a bit.

Sounds a little early for my memory for the kernel, but about right for the
support using the shells.  I would have thought we talked about the idea at
the Summer '79 USENIX and later Dennis implemented a patch for Research
Unix which it looks like he released it in early 1980.    But if I'm not
getting my dates wrong, that should have been before 3BSD was released for
the Vax; which syncs with my memory that it was in 3BSD.  Due to address
space issues on the 11, add features to the kernel that we could do in
userspace, was often the preferred place. I just don't remember if Joy had
it in the 2BSD kernel before Dennis added it to the research kernel, but I
do remember it was in shells @ UCB as Jeremy said much earlier.

ᐧ