[TUHS] pronouncing *nix formulas (was: screen editors)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Feb 7 05:55:28 AEST 2020

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020, Dan Cross wrote:

> Perhaps I've sent this story to TUHS before, but I can't resist.
> "finger: the most inappropriately named command in computerdom" (no,
> that's not a challenge...).

[ Hilarious story ]

Back in ye olde Usenet days, someone had an animated .plan which was all
about the "Andalusian snail" (the "@" character was the snail).  It used
ANSI escape sequences, showing it in the 25th line (the "status" line),
and was quite funny.

Of course, you had to have the right speed; too fast, and it just zipped
past, and too slow, well, it, just crawled along :-)  ISTR that 9600 was
about right.

Anyone remember that?

Oh, my .plan in those days said "To rid the world of Intel chips" (sorry
Clem, but this was back in the days of Intel vs. Moto).  It now reads "To
rid the world of M$ software" but these days the finger service is
generally blocked.

-- Dave