[TUHS] finger usage (was: pronouncing *nix formulas (was: screen editors))

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Fri Feb 7 10:27:57 AEST 2020

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Friday,  7 February 2020 at  6:55:28 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>>
>> Oh, my .plan in those days said "To rid the world of Intel chips"
>> (sorry Clem, but this was back in the days of Intel vs. Moto).  It
>> now reads "To rid the world of M$ software" but these days the
>> finger service is generally blocked.
>
> It is?  My .sig (not modified for this answer) includes a finger
> reference, and "it works for me".  Do some services block incoming
> fingers?
>
> Greg
> --
> Sent from my desktop computer.
> Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft mail program
> reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA

I have Debian installed in the Linux emulation environment on my main
computer (as well as on my other desktop), so I decided to try running the
finger command from your .sig ;p

Works fine on my end.  (It's supposed to end in "20Segmentation fault
(core dumped)", right?)

I have never tried to install a finger daemon on any of my boxen so as to
permit being able to receive incoming finger requests.  Just hasn't been
important enough to me.

-uso.