[TUHS] Atari System V media and books?

Arno Griffioen arno.griffioen at ieee.org
Fri Feb 7 21:53:17 AEST 2020

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 05:15:23PM -0600, Michael Parson wrote:
> > Never got that really verified, but I do know that at the time the
> > lack of support for the m68k ABI was a big hurdle for acceptance.
>
> *shrug* Atari UNIX and Amiga UNIX seem close enough that some stuff
> compiled on Atari works on the Amiga.
>
> Out of curiosity, how much m68k SysV software was out there?

A decent amount, at least for basic productivity software (accounting, etc.)
and compilers and such. Nothing spectacular, but would have given at least
an initial library of basic tools.

> > The SVR4 Amiga UNIX used CDE and all bits for the X11 environment, so
> > the binaries should all be there.
>
> The install bits that have survived and escaped onto the Internet have
> X11R4 with XView/OpenLook, no Motif/CDE.  There was a port of X11R5 to
> it that supported some of the newer graphics cards, but still no Motif.

Ah.. Yes you are right.. De distribution tape only has XView. CDE I probably
only saw on an in-house demo of.

I remember it was terribly slow though, especially with the limited RAM
capacity at the time of max 16MB and a 25Mhz '030, which was already showing
it's age by now and should really have been an '040 with the option
of (much) more RAM.

								Bye, Arno.