[TUHS] Warner's Early Unix Presentation

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Sun Feb 9 09:26:51 AEST 2020

On 2/8/20 6:11 PM, Rob Pike wrote:
> Not for me it doesn't.
>
> % bash
>
> bash-3.2$ function f() {
>
>     echo hi
>
>     }
>
> bash-3.2$ export f
> bash-3.2$ bash
> bash-3.2$ f
> bash-3.2$

jenna(1)$ echo $BASH_VERSION
5.0.11(6)-release
jenna(1)$ f() { echo f; }
jenna(1)$ export -f f
jenna(1)$ bash
jenna(2)$ f
jenna(2)$

It works the same in Mac OS X's bash-3.2.

> I added the 'builtin' command, which did leave the labs. But I added it as
> a way for the "whatis" command to show a builtin, as well as allowing a way
> to guarantee you get the builtin on execution.

Bash uses `type' to tell whether something is a builtin. How does `builtin'
say whether or not a command is builtin? The output with no arguments?

> How do I get bash to print the function as (shell) source code, so I could
> edit it and play with it again? It was the synergy of all this stuff
> connected seamlessly that made it so compelling.

jenna(2)$ declare -pf f
f ()
{
    echo f
}
declare -fx f

If it weren't exported, you wouldn't get the `declare' command appended
there.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/