[TUHS] V9 shell [was Re: Warner's Early Unix Presentation]

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Tue Feb 11 04:59:14 AEST 2020

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 05:39:26 +1100 Rob Pike <robpike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Readline and job control were less compelling when you had multiple command
> windows of editable typescript, which we all had with the Blit.

^Z is still useful, to stop forward progress temporarily.
Analogous to what ^S/^Q does for output stream.

As for editable typescript, I like how Dyalog's APL console
app works. You can edit any previous expression but when you
run it, the original expression is restored and the edited
expression appears on a new line. This way you can see the
real history of what you did, as opposed to in acme or rio,
for example, where the original content of edited lines in an
rc shell window is lost.