[TUHS] man Macro Package and pdfmark

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Feb 19 01:28:50 AEST 2020

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> ditroff was always >>open source<< and any licensee could get it and see
> it.  The problem you are suggesting is that it was not >>free<< i.e. FOSS.

I don't like your use of "open source"; it is way out of skew with
how it's used today.

> AT&T licensed it with a small set of fees.   IIRC $1K for the first CPU, an
> $50 for each and redistribution license was $10K and $5/system.

That was very painful for universities and/or small businesses. Sure
Sun and Masscomp could afford that. Your average computing center /
computer science department / startup would have to think twice or thrice.

Per CPU licensing was particularly painful if you had a bunch
of workstations.

Arnold