[TUHS] Who is the inventor of email?

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Thu Feb 20 10:39:51 AEST 2020

Email was in the EMAS system in Edinburgh university very soon after
full multiaccess services were released, Certainly by the early 1970s.
By the time VMS was released, email between nodes was a fact of life.
JANET had email in the coloured book series. It was ubiquitous by the
late 1970s.

It is important not to mistake the formal syntactic mechanism of
saying who you are mailing, with where they are, as a definition of
user at host, the actual mechanism of saying "send this to <x>" can be
completely decoupled from having names, host names, domain names or
any analogous construct. Mail existed long before we had to do
"shebang" paths, and I mean mail between discrete, independent
computers.

-George