[TUHS] sh: cmd | >file

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri andreas.kahari at abc.se
Sun Jan 5 10:04:27 AEST 2020

On Sun, Jan 05, 2020 at 10:53:47AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2020, Chet Ramey wrote:
>
> > It's elegant until you forget that `:' continues to process redirections.
>
> So just keep remembering that it's an actual command :-)
>
> Which reminds me: which Shell introduced "#" as a true comment?
>
> Hmmm, not quite true; only the C-Shell says "#: Command not found" so it
> only works in a script; odd...
>
> Then again, no-one in their right mind uses "csh" :-)
>
> -- Dave

In bash (turning off interactive_comments):

	$ shopt -u interactive_comments
	$ echo hello # world
	hello # world
	$ # oh
	bash: #: command not found

In zsh (by default):

	$ echo hello # world
	hello # world
	$ # oh
	zsh: command not found: #

zsh is the fun one though (allows setting the comment character):

	$ histchars[3]='@'
	$ echo hello @ world
	hello @ world
	$ setopt INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS