[TUHS] sh: cmd | >file

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Tue Jan 7 07:55:55 AEST 2020

On 1/6/20 4:29 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
>
>> Would anyone who uses Bash regularly, both interactively and
>> for scripting, really want to go back to using the V7 sh
>> for production work?
>
> I have never used all the fancy stuff in BASH such as the arithmetic
> functions; I still use "expr" etc for portability.

Portability to what? The POSIX $((...)) arithmetic expansion is widely
implemented and near-universally available.

Some of the other things are more esoteric, but you should be able to
increase your expectation to POSIX features and still be sufficiently
portable.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/