[TUHS] screen editors

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Jan 7 12:38:34 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 09:31:44PM -0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> > but???damn, even ex/vi 3.x is huge
>
> It was so excesssive right from the start that I refused to use it.
> Sam was the first screen editor that I deemed worthwhile, and I
> still use it today.

I grew up on 4MB Suns.  Emacs was "8 megs and constantly swapping".
I thought vi was fine though I did do a lot with xvi (I think that was
what it was called) and I hacked it to use mmap to look at the file.
I had to do something about strings to make that work, don't remember,
but it worked and I could vi 4MB log files and search them pretty fast.

I'm a vi guy to this day.  Love it.