[TUHS] What happened with XENIX? (was Re: Unix/World Magazines)

reed at reedmedia.net reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Jan 8 08:22:41 AEST 2020

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020, Warren Toomey wrote:

> All, I've uploaded 13 Unix/World magazines from 1984-85 to archive.org.

Thanks!

November 1985 issue has an article by Bill Gates.

Gates wrote that they were optimistic to achieve 400,000 XENIX
installations -- their critical mass -- within 18 months.

"... IBM has announced XENIX as the multi-user operating sysytem for the
IBM PC-AT."

"Significantly, at the time the XENIX project was started [mid 1980],
the IBM Personal Computer had not been announced."

What happened with XENIX?  I know it had some success (I used at least
one retired system with it), but nothing near the other offerings on the
PC family.