[TUHS] screen editors

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Wed Jan 8 10:10:25 AEST 2020

arnold at skeeve.com writes:
> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm a vi guy to this day.  Love it.

I'm a vi guy these days.  My first screen editor was something called DTE
for Display Terminal Editor written by Dick Hause that ran on the Glance G
terminals hooked our Honeywell 516 running 516-TSS.  I have some vague
recollection of at least one of these terminals ending up in the attic in
the UNIX room, but I don't think that the editor was ever ported.  It was
painful to have to use ed or the 516-TSS equivalent when a terminal wasn't
available.  Vi was an easy transition because the ed commands could be used
until the fancier stuff was learned.  Also because that great vi trainer
program rogue existed :-)

Jon