[TUHS] screen editors

Mark van Atten vanattenmark at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 15:13:52 AEST 2020

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 20:36, Rodrigo G. López <rodrigosloop at gmail.com> wrote:

> i like to use it natively as much as possible, especially the 9front edition with its usability (e.g. mouse chording) improvements. if that is not possible, i drawterm into some cpu or a local vm where i can get a little environment to work with whatever is at /mnt/term.

In the opposite direction of your preference for a native environment:
A port of 9front sam (with chording) to unix is available at
https://bitbucket.org/iru/sam9f-unix/src/default/

I use it as a drop-in replacement for the plan9port version.

> it has given me the best text editing and programming experience i've ever had.

For most types of editing I have come to prefer it over acme. The one
modification I should, perhaps, like to see is the possibility to
scroll the window while selecting. Rob Pike has made some comments on
the difficulty here; see the quotations and links in the discussion at
https://github.com/deadpixi/sam/issues/85
(incidentally, on the github pages of another fairly recent port of sam.)

A proposal for a (GSOC) project to improve sam scrolling:
http://fqa.9front.org/appendixg.html

Mark.