[TUHS] screen editors

Steve Mynott steve.mynott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 01:42:07 AEST 2020

On 08/01/2020, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> wrote:

> It is a tremendous effort of Bram Moolenaar and the vim
> contributors to maintain this codebase that can be configured in
> uncountable ways, just looking at the pre-configured feature sets
> that exist lead to tiny, small, normal, big and huge.

Indeed. It's larger because it does a lot more!

Small isn't necessarily beautiful and all those tiny old vendor vi
binaries are probably full of bugs since they were never actively
maintained.

The last time I used Solaris vi it didn't handle long lines properly
and the more recent classic Joy vi open source forks are full of bug
fixes (often for quite serious problems).

If you want a tiny vi compile one of those up or use nvi.  If you want
features use vim.

--
Steve Mynott <steve.mynott at gmail.com>
cv25519/ECF8B611205B447E091246AF959E3D6197190DD5