[TUHS] screen editors

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Fri Jan 10 05:01:28 AEST 2020

Larry McVoy writes:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 09:21:40AM -0800, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> > It's for that reason that I hate the addition of multiple windows to vi.
>
> That's just silly.  I frequently open two panes on the same file.  Lets
> compare:
>
> Your way:
> 	- click to open a new terminal
> 	- click on it because it's not where I want, move it
> 	- cd to where ever I am
> 	- vi whatever
>
> My way:
> 	:sp
>
> You are welcome to your opinion but to argue that multiple panes in
> vi aren't useful, fine, maybe not to you.  Don't use them.  Other
> people love that feature, that feature is why I tried emacs many
> years ago.

Yes, that is my opinion and clearly yours is different.

Being as I have a huge hi-res screen, I often have other windows
open and ready to do, so all I have to do is move the mouse.

But really to me you're opening yet another can of worms, which is what
I call the "string theory school of design" where every new program
creates its own universe instead of functioning in the existing one.
I'm working on a demonstration project to illuminate a different path,
but it's gonna be a while before I have something to show.

Jon