[TUHS] screen editors

markus schnalke meillo at marmaro.de
Fri Jan 10 18:13:04 AEST 2020

Hoi.

[2020-01-09 08:49] Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2020, Thomas Paulsen wrote:
>
> > I do ed/se occasionally for simple tasks, vim frequently ,
> > because it loads fast, and emacs for all bigger projects,
> > beside liteide for golang.
>
> I had a boss once who insisted that all his staff learn "ed",
> because one day it might be the only editor available; he was
> right...

On a modern Linux system, ed isn't even installed ... 8-O

I was quite shocked when I first realized that I had to do
`apt-get install ed' to have it available ... on a Unix-like
system. But on the other hand, who of today's users is even
capable of exiting it?!

On my own systems I like to install Heirlomm ed, which I have
outfactored from the Heirloom tools package. If you want to
actually use it every now and then, Gunnar's ed is much more
usable than GNU ed ... which seems to be more a demonstration
object than actually a programmer's editor.

Anyways, I'm having a great pleasure reading those historic
spotlights on editors these days. :-)

meillo