[TUHS] screen editors / machine load

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Sat Jan 11 01:00:08 AEST 2020

Yes, it was a real concern. Physical memory on the shared PDP-11 was
limited, and if everyone had a separate copy of vi running the machine
would swap itself silly.

This only mattered if everyone had their own separate copy of vi
installed. The fix was to put vi in a single system directory, such as
/usr/ucb or /exptools. The instruction part of its memory would be
shared among all the users, resulting in much less swapping.

In the early days, people tended to have their own personal copy because
the Berkeley tools did not come standard with UNIX, especially at Bell
Labs. That was one of the main motivations for Exptools (the
"experimental tools"), which were basically 2BSD's applications and some
other tools like Warren Montgomery's emacs. Disk space and people's time
spend installing were also good reasons.

     Mary Ann