[TUHS] Question about early C behavior.

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jan 11 07:05:02 AEST 2020

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 2:09 PM Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 1988 ANSI standard made this an error (or at least undefined behavior)
> but the functionality persists; GCC is changing its default to prohibit it
> (my colleague works on clang).

Lovely - let's break code because we can.

To quote our late friend and colleague dmr:

“I can't recall any difficulty in making the C language definition
completely open - any discussion on the matter tended to mention languages
whose inventors tried to keep tight control, and consequent ill fate”
<https://www.inspiringquotes.us/quotes/TkCZ_JSNjCihu>

“When I read commentary about suggestions for where C should go, I often
think back and give thanks that it wasn't developed under the advice of a
worldwide crowd.” <https://www.inspiringquotes.us/quotes/eDQR_hqwtHAC9>

“C is peculiar in a lot of ways, but it, like many other successful things,
has a certain unity of approach that stems from development in a small
group” <https://www.inspiringquotes.us/quotes/zjSl_37Fc1onj>