[TUHS] Tech Sq elevator (Was: screen editors)

markus schnalke meillo at marmaro.de
Mon Jan 13 03:21:14 AEST 2020

Hoi.

[2020-01-12 09:56] Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>

> It should have beenĀ something likeĀ  (list-length (command-list-fn)) but I'll
> bet that ? was bound to a complicated function that just displayed the results
> and didn't properly abstract out the UI (printing) from the data collection
> (getting a list), which is what made it so hard. I've had so many gnu emacs
> experiences like this over the years, but to the community's credit, there's
> fewer and fewer as time goes by.
>
> ObUnix: This shows the power of having the right abstractions and being
> disciplined to code to those ideal abstractions any time there might be
> reuse...

True words.

These concepts (what you call abstractions) is no optional geek
pleasure but the most important information for everyone using the
system or language. It's important to teach them, make them explicit,
deal with them, substract points in exams for correct solutions that
have bad style, keep the libraries and books on a high level, ...

This is one of the lesser regarded aspects of what Unix did really
well.

meillo